When can I apply for a refund of vehicle taxes paid?
An owner can apply for a refund of taxes paid when a motor vehicle is sold or registered out of state. The refund will be calculated on any full calendar months remaining in the registration period after the license plate is surrendered to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NC DMV). Within 1 year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present proof of plate surrender to NC DMV (DMV form FS20), and a copy of the bill of sale or the new state’s registration to the county tax office at 135 East Water Street.

For more information, you may contact the Iredell County Assessor’s Office at 704-878-3018 or visit their webpage.

Show All Answers

1. Why is the state's collection of vehicle property taxes changing?
2. When does the new Tag and Tax Together System take effect?
3. Why has my registration renewal form changed?
4. Will my vehicle registration renewal fee remain the same?
5. When is my vehicle tax due?
6. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax 1st?
7. Am I paying property taxes for the coming year, or for the preceding year?
8. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?
9. Is interest charged on late payments?
10. How will I know what vehicle property tax I owe?
11. Will I receive a refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?
12. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle taxes paid?
13. Should I pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?
14. Can I appeal the value of my vehicle?
15. What is gap billing of property taxes for unregistered vehicles?
16. Why did I receive a vehicle registration gap property tax notice?
17. Does the property tax I paid when I renewed my registration apply to the gap billing period?
18. How many months can a vehicle registration gap property tax notice cover?
19. When is my vehicle value determined?
20. How can I appeal?
21. When are the taxes due and when does interest start?
22. What if I do not pay?