How do I open a home business?
Home businesses need zoning permits called “home occupation” permits. There are different permits one can obtain, depending on the nature of the business and the location. The most common permit we give is called a “customary home occupation” permit that allows a business to be run out of a residence, but there are others that allow a business to be run out of a shed out back, or others allowing for contractors’ businesses.

Come to our office on the 1st floor of the Building Standards Center at 349 North Center Street to make sure you can meet the requirements to be a home occupation and to fill out the necessary paperwork. It takes about 15 minutes, costs $77.25, and the permit is good for as long as the parcel exists.

Show All Answers

1. How do I open a home business?
2. How do I get a septic system site evaluation / permit?
3. Do I need permits for a shed or accessory building?
4. How do I set up a mobile home?
5. How do I get a sign permit?
6. How do I split a lot into 2 lots? Or conversely, how do I combine 2 lots into 1 lot?
7. Can I get my property rezoned?
8. How far off my property line does a fence have to be?
9. How do I get zoning approval for a vehicle dealer's license?
10. When are site plans required?
11. Do commercial or non-residential places have to submit site plans to add accessory buildings?
12. What are some common complaints that the Zoning Code Enforcement Officers resolve?
13. What do I need to do to start a commercial project?