Applying for a New Marriage License
***Please Note, Marriage applicants MUST arrive in person to complete the issuance process by 4:00 PM. The Register of Deeds only issues licenses from 8am-4pm, Monday-Friday.
Please read the following prior to your visit:
In order to get married in North Carolina, couples must obtain a marriage license at a Register of Deeds office. You can apply for the license at either our Statesville office or our Mooresville office. If you have filled out your personal information online before coming in, the process will only take about 15 minutes. The license itself costs $60 and a certified copy to use as proof of your marriage can be purchased in our office for an additional $10.
The Iredell County Register of Deeds office has TWO requirements to apply for a Marriage License:
1. Both applicants must be present at the time of applying and provide one valid form of picture identification. The following IDs are acceptable:
a. Driver’s License/State Issued ID Card
b. United States Passport
c. Valid Foreign Passport (further proof may be required pending Register approval)
d. United States Military ID
2. Both applicants must provide proof of social security number in one of these forms:
a. Social Security Card
b. Last year's W-2 Tax Return Form (this form can be printed offline; it DOES NOT have to be an original W-2 form)
c. Pay Stub (if full SSN is included)
d. If you have another form of reasonable proof, please call to confirm whether it is acceptable
* Note: An alien admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number. Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. This affidavit is available at our office.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within the last 30 days, the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree. Once a divorce is granted, there is NO mandatory waiting period to apply for a new marriage license.
- Applicants under 18 years of age must also provide certified copies of their birth certificates and written consent by either the parents or a guardian(s) with full or joint legal custody of the applicant. This consent form is available at our office as well. Applicants under 16 must attain a Court Order by a District Court Judge authorizing the marriage in addition to the above requirements.
* Note: Applicants under the age of 14 are unlawful to marry.
After we issue your marriage license, it is valid for 60 days to be used anywhere in North Carolina. Once the marriage ceremony is performed, the officiant (Magistrate, Minister, Priest, etc.) and the two witnesses of your choice must fill out the bottom section of both copies of the marriage license. The completed marriage license (both copies) must then be returned to our office within 10 days of the ceremony.
If you wish to (1) change your name or (2) update any other account information, you can obtain a certified copy ($10) of the marriage license in our office at any time during business hours. You will use this certified copy as proof of your marriage and take it to the Social Security office and update your account. You may then update any other documentation, such as a Driver’s License, at the DMV, after 24 hours. Congratulations from our staff on your upcoming marriage!
***Please note, if you wish to get married at the courthouse, marriage ceremonies are performed in Statesville Monday through Friday. You will need to bring 2 witnesses and an additional $50 cash to pay for the ceremony. Our office can supply you with the form for payment for your marriage ceremony upon request. The Statesville Magistrates’ office performs marriages from 9am to 3pm. They also perform ceremonies on Saturday from 9am to 12pm. (1 applicant to the marriage must be an Iredell county resident.)
Statesville Magistrates Office - (704) 832-6619